In this section you can find a list of selected publications, conference proceedings, presentations, invited talks, and events I have organised.
- Peredo Parada, S., Barrera Salas, C. and Burbi, S. (2022). Is there a relationship between cultural factors and the establishment of fruit and vegetable agroecological systems with different designs and their impact on soil fauna? Experiences from four Chilean regions. Acta Horticulturae 1355, 117-124. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2022.1355.15
- Peredo Parada, S., Barrera Salas, C. & Burbi, S. (2022). Responding to the popular demand: itinerary for the socio-political learning of situated agroecologies in Chile. Sustainability 2022, 14, 7969. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14137969
- Contributing author in: Bednar-Friedl, B., Biesbroek, R., Schmidt, D.N., Alexander, P., Børsheim, K. Y., Carnicer, J., Georgopoulou, E., Haasnoot, M., Cozannet, G.L., Lionello, P., Lipka, O., Möllmann, C., Muccione, V., Mustonen, T., Piepenburg, D. & Whitmarsh, L. (2022). Chapter 13. Europe. In: Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [H.-O. Pörtner, D.C. Roberts, M. Tignor, E.S. Poloczanska, K. Mintenbeck, A. Alegría, M. Craig, S. Langsdorf, S. Löschke, V. Möller, A. Okem, B. Rama (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA, pp. 1817–1927. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781009325844.015
- Manuelian, C. L., Vigolo, V., Burbi, S., Righi, F., Simoni, M., & De Marchi, M. (2022). Detailed comparison between organic and conventional milk from Holstein-Friesian dairy herds in Italy. Journal of Dairy Science, (In-Press), https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2021-21465
- Manuelian, C. L., Vigolo, V., Righi, F., Simoni, M., Burbi, S., & De Marchi, M. (2021). MIR and Vis/NIR spectroscopy cannot authenticate organic bulk milk. Italian Journal of Animal Science, 20(1), 1810-1816. https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2021.1954559
- Gwiriri, L. C., Bennett, J., Mapiye, C., & Burbi, S. (2021). Emerging from Below? Understanding the Livelihood Trajectories of Smallholder Livestock Farmers in Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Land, 10(2), 1-25. . https://doi.org/10.3390/land10020226
- Parada, S. P., Barrera, C., Burbi, S., & Rocha, D. (2020). Agroforestry in the Andean Araucanía: An Experience of Agroecological Transition with Women from Cherquén in Southern Chile. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(24), . https://doi.org/10.3390/su122410401
- Wilkes, M., Bennett, J., Burbi, S., Charlesworth, S., Dehnen-Schmutz, K., Rayns, F., … Van De Wiel, M. (2020). Making Way for Trees? Changes in Land-Use, Habitats and Protected Areas in Great Britain under “Global Tree Restoration Potential”. Sustainability, 12(14), . https://doi.org/10.3390/su12145845
- Manuelian, C. L., Penasa, M., da Costa, L., Burbi, S., Righi, F., & De Marchi, M. (2020). Organic Livestock Production- A Bibliometric Review. Animals, 10(4), . https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10040618
- Gwiriri, L. C., Bennett, J., Mapiye, C. & Burbi, S. (2019) Unpacking the ‘emergent farmer’ concept: evidence from smallholder cattle farmers in South Africa. Development and Change, 50(6), 1664-1686. https://doi.org/10.1111/dech.12516
- Gwiriri, L. C., Bennett, J., Mapiye, C., Marandure, T., & Burbi, S. (2019). Constraints to the sustainability of a ‘systematised’ approach to livestock marketing amongst smallholder cattle producers in South Africa. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 17(2), 189-204. https://doi.org/10.1080/14735903.2019.1591658
- Burbi, S., & Olave, R.J. (2018) Supporting farmers in the transition to agroecology to promote carbon sequestration from silvopastoral systems. International Journal of Agricultural Extension. Special Issue: 13th International Farming Systems Association (IFSA) Research Symposium, European Branch, 1-5 July 2018, p17-27. https://escijournals.net/index.php/IJAE/article/view/2676/1314
- Pulido, M., Ramirez-Avilés, L., Solorio Sánchez, F.J., Fiebrig, I., & Burbi, S. (2018) Impact of veterinary practices on soil biophysical properties in tropical agroecosystems. Soil Sensors, 2(2), 24. https://doi.org/10.3390/soilsystems2020024
- Hilmi, A. & Burbi, S. (2017) Peasant Farming as a Refuge in Times of Crises. Development 59(3-4), 229-236. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41301-017-0109-6
- Burbi, S., Baines, R.N., and Conway, J.S. (2016) Achieving successful farmer engagement on greenhouse gas emission mitigation. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 14(4), 466-483. https://doi.org/10.1080/14735903.2016.1152062
- Hilmi, A. & Burbi, S. (2015) Peasant Farming, A Buffer for Human Societies. Development 58(2-3), 346-353. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41301-016-0035-z
- Basbag, M., Davies, W.P., Cannon, N., Lovera, K.R., Basbag, S., Burbi, S., Bashkar, A.V.V., Moyo, H., Axe, M., Alo, A., and Minaei, N. (2014). Some Wild Plants in the Cirencester Natural Flora. Anadolu Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 29(2), 126-135.
- Peredo Parada, S., Barrera Salas, C., Burbi, S., & Mancini Teixeira, H. (2023) Comunidades de aprendizajes transformadores: debuyando para las transiciones diversas. IX Congreso Internacional de Agroecología. Cultivando Sistemas Alimentarios Locales de Base Agroecológica. Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Sevilla, Spain, 19-21 January 2023.
- Mancini Teixeira, H., Burbi, S., Peredo Parada, S., & Cardoso, I.M. (2023) Transformations and lessons learned during a long-term agroecological transition process in the Zona da Mata region, Brazil. IX Congreso Internacional de Agroecología. Cultivando Sistemas Alimentarios Locales de Base Agroecológica. Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Sevilla, Spain, 19-21 January 2023.
- Venn, R., Burbi, S., Carbonell, P., & Crous Duran, J. (2021) AGROMIX – Participatory research to drive the transition to a resilient and efficient land use in Europe. III Agroecology Europe Forum: “Agroecology to regenerate our food systems and communities”. Session 10: Territorialised agroecological food systems: linking production with consumption. Barcelona, 17-19 November 2021.
- Burbi, S., Schmutz, U., Dehnen-Schmutz, K., Van De Wiel, M., Eden, J., Stew, J., & Venn, R. (2021) AGROMIX – AGROforestry and MIXed farming systems – Participatory research to drive the transition to a resilient and efficient land use in Europe. 5th European Agroforestry Conference. EURAF 2020 “Agroforestry for the transition towards sustainability and bioeconomy”. Theme: Agroforestry, ecosystem services, landscape and rural development; topic: Climate change (adaptation and mitigation). European Agroforestry Federation (EURAF). Nuoro, Italy, 17-19 May 2021.
- Schmutz, U., Burbi, S., & Migliorini, P. (2021) AGROMIX – Introducing Policy Co- Development for Agroforestry and Mixed Farming. 5th European Agroforestry Conference. EURAF 2020 “Agroforestry for the transition towards sustainability and bioeconomy”. Theme: Agroforestry and policy for sustainable development. European Agroforestry Federation (EURAF). Nuoro, Italy, 17-19 May 2021.
- Schmutz, U., Rayns, F., Burbi, S., Evans, A., Zikeli, S., Oudshoorn, F., Katsoulas, N., Andrivon, D., De Marchi, M., Righi, F., Løes, A.-K., Malińska, K., Grøn Sørensen, C. & Antón, A. (2018). Organic-PLUS project: Pathways to phase-out contentious inputs from organic agriculture in Europe – Research overview and preliminary results. Abstract from 6th International Conference on Organic Agriculture Sciences, Eisenstadt, Austria, 7-9 November 2018.
- Olave, R.J., Fornara, D., Higgins, A., & Burbi, S. (2018) Contribution of agricultural grasslands to carbon sequestration in Northern Ireland. International Conference on Agricultural GHG Emissions and Food Security – Connecting research to policy and practice. Organisers: Global Research Alliance (GRA) on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases, German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture, FACCE-JPI, Thünen University, CGIAR CCAFS. Berlin, Germany. 1-13 September 2018.
- Solorio-Sánchez, F.J., Sarabia, L.S., Burbi, S., Fiebrig, I., Ku-Vera, J.C., & Ayala, A.B. (2016) Effect of three agroecological feeding strategies on the yield and composition of crossbred cows’ milk in the Mexican tropics. World Congress Silvo-pastoral Systems 2016. University of Évora, Portugal. 27-30 September 2016.
- Solorio-Sánchez, F.J., Solís-Pérez, G. d C., Burbi, S., Fiebrig, I., & Ku-Vera, J.C. (2016) Methane production by crossbred cows in silvopastoral systems from Michoacán, México. World Congress Silvo-pastoral Systems 2016. University of Évora, Portugal. 27-30 September 2016.
- Burbi, S. & Hartless-Rose, K. (2016) The role of internet and social media in the diffusion of knowledge and innovation among farmers. 12th IFSA Symposium. Harper Adams University, England. 12-15 July 2016. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.4290.4567
- Burbi, S., Baines, R.N., & Conway, J.S. (2013) Small-scale farmers and climate change – Opportunities and barriers to community engagement. In: AAB (Association of Applied Biologists) Research Conference: Rethinking agricultural systems in the UK. St. Catherine’s College, Oxford, England, 18-19 December 2013. Aspects of Applied Biology 121, 2013, p.213-218.
- Burbi, S., Baines, R.N., & Conway, J.S. (2011) Improving livestock farm practices in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the farm level. Conference Proceedings. British Grassland Society 10th Research Conference. 20-21 September 2011, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS, INVITED TALKS, AND EVENTS ORGANISATION
- Invited Speaker: III Congreso REUD(H)A “Tirar del Freno de Emergencia. La Historia Ambiental ante la Crisis Global”. International congress organised by the Red Universitaria Española de Historia Ambiental (REUD(H)A) and the Programa de Doctorado en Historia y Artes of the University of Granada. Granada, Spain; 11-13 May 2022.
- Invited Speaker: panel of European projects invited to the ‘Soil Health Networking Day’ organised by the H2020 project LANDSUPPORT to find synergies and complementarities in research and innovation to advance soil health, and most importantly on how to engage with farmers and land managers on how to adopt sustainable land uses. Naples, Italy; online; 8 December 2021.
- Co-chair: workshop “Improved communications for climate mitigation practices in agriculture”, together with AGROMIX partners CEEweb for Biodiversity, Hungary, and Revolve Media, Spain. EUKI Conference 2021: ‘Fit for Climate Action’. The event was organised to facilitate the exchange between European Climate Initiative (EUKI) project implementers as well as representatives of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, the EU Commission, the EUKI Secretariat, and local policy makers across Europe. Representatives of ongoing and completed EUKI projects were invited to participate in and contribute to the discussion on what the pathway to a climate-neutral Europe could look like. Berlin, Germany; online; 23-24 November 2021.
- Invited Speaker: networking event organised by the Animal Task Force (ATF) and the European Feed Manufacturers Federation (FEFAC), the 11th Animal Task Force Seminar. The event saw contributions from several European projects focusing on livestock and sustainability from a conventional point of view, as well as agroecological approaches to improve sustainability of farming practices and supply chains, and climate change resilience. Brussels, Belgium; online; 18 November 2021.
- Organiser and Chair: Webinar “Resilience in agricultural landscapes: Dealing with complexity in a changing climate”. Participants from H2020 projects AGROMIX, MIXED, and STARGATE discussed aspects of resilience from different points of view, environmental, socio-economic, and political, as well as the methodologies and approaches we can use, e.g. climate modelling, participatory approaches, ethnography. The webinar was open to the public and was attended by several representatives from the European Commission DG_AGRI, DG_ENV, DG_CLIMA, and JRC. Coventry, UK; online; 10 November 2021.
- Session Co-organiser: Landscape 2021 “Diversity for Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture”; Session: “6.2 Mixing crops, livestock and trees in farms and landscapes for people and planet”; Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), Müncheberg, Germany; online; 20-22 September 2021 https://www.landscape2021.org/frontend/index.php
- Keynote Speaker: “Agroecology in Europe: principles, perceptions and realities”; Webinar MDPI Land Journal – UNDERTREES & AGROMIX EU research projects on Agroecology and Agroforestry; Cáceres, Spain; online; 26 May 2021.
- Panel Facilitator: “Organic production in Europe: shaping future policy together with producers.” Project Organic-PLUS; online event with Italian producers. Padova, Italy; online; 22 April 2021.
- Keynote Speaker at “Getting Ready for Horizon Europe: UKRO Masterclass for Researchers”; presentation on experiences and tips for successful EU projects, with Q&A; Coventry University Brussels Office and Research Services; Coventry, UK and Brussels, Belgium; online; 9 February 2021.
- Invited speaker: EURAF Policy Webinar “Agroforestry and the Green Architecture of the New CAP”; European Agroforestry Federation; 16-18 November 2020. Session “Future of Agroforestry Policies”
- Panel Organiser: 14th International Farming Systems Association (IFSA) Research Symposium, IFSA 2020 (postponed to 2022); Panel: “Can we push agroecology further?”; University of Évora, Portugal.
- Organiser and Chair: South America Forum 2019, CAWR, Coventry University. “Research in South America: Challenges and Opportunities”. Closing contribution: “Ecosystem regeneration through agroecological livestock farming; Knowledge exchange between Central and South America.” Coventry, UK; 30 April 2019.
- Inaugural Keynote Speaker: 9th Latin American Forum, University of Edinburgh; Moderator in the panel session on Food Security. 4-5 February 2019.
- XIII Sociedad Española de Agricultura Ecológica (SEAE) Congress “Sistemas agroalimentarios agroecológicos y cambio climático”, Logroño, Spain, 13-17 November 2018.
- 13th International Farming Systems Association (IFSA) Research Symposium; CIHEAM, International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies, Chania, Crete, Greece; 1-5 July 2018.
- Agroecology Forum 2017. “Transition to agroforestry: current challenges and opportunities for the adoption of agroforestry as carbon sequestration strategy.” ISARA, Lyon, France, 25-27 October 2017.
- Resilience 2017. “Communities and Resilience Practices”; presentation on Pathways to resilience in small-scale farming – The case of England (Burbi S., Rial Lovera L.); Organiser: Stockholm Resilience Centre; Stockholm Waterfront Congress Centre, Stockholm, Sweden, 20-23 August 2017.
- Keynote Speaker: VII Seminar on Global Public Goods, University of Murcia, Spain, 11-12 November 2016.
- Keynote Speaker at opening debate: “Agroecology in Europe: Myth or reality?”, XII SEAE Congress “Legumes: key in organic agrosystems and organic food”, Lugo, Spain, on 20-24 September 2016.
- Workshop Session Organiser at 12th International Farming Systems Association (IFSA) Research Symposium, Harper Adams University, UK; 12-15 July 2016.
- Invited Speaker: “Agroecological dairy livestock farming: Challenges and opportunities for holistic assessment of long-term sustainability”. Conference series: Sustainability and socio-economy of the dairy agrifood chain. Instituto de Ciencias Agropecuarias y Rurales (ICAR) of the Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México (UAEM), Toluca, México, in collaboration with the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (UAM), Unidad Xochimilco and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Toluca, Mexico, 5 November 2015.
- Keynote Speaker: “Climate change mitigation and sustainability assessment of smallholder livestock farming systems: Experiences of participatory research in the South West of England using the RFPA tool”. Instituto de Ciencias Agropecuarias y Rurales (ICAR), Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México (UNAM), Toluca, México, 6 November 2015.
- Workshop Facilitator: XXIX EURAGRI Conference “Diffusion of innovation and knowledge in agriculture” co-hosted by the Luxembourgish Government under the Luxembourg EU Presidency. Workshop facilitator, panel discussion group “Strategic approaches”. Luxembourg, 27 – 29 September 2015.
- SER 2015 World Conference on Ecological Restoration; organised by the Society for Ecological Restoration; Manchester, UK, 23-27 August 2015.
- Invited Speaker: “Experiences of grassland management in smallholder livestock farming systems”, I International Seminar “Water and Agroecological Practice for Resilient Production Systems in Dryland and Drought Conditions” Universidad de Extremadura, Cáceres, Spain 3 March 2015.
- Invited Speaker: “Climate change, sustainability and innovation in livestock farming systems. Experiences in the South West of England”. Dipartimento di Scienze Agrarie, Alimentari e Agro-ambientali, Università di Pisa, 19 May 2014.
- “Farmer engagement on climate-smart agriculture. Experiences in the South West of England”. Centre for Agroecology and Food Security, Coventry University, 10 March 2014.
- Oxford Real Farming Conference (ORFC), presentation on farmers’ perceptions of climate change, challenges and opportunities for transition to agroecological livestock farming, including mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions; Oxford, UK; 6-7 January 2014.
- Workshop Facilitator: XXVII EURAGRI Conference: “Framing the challenges of European agricultural research – Innovation, stakeholder involvement and the supply and production chain” organised by Aarhus University, Denmark and co-hosted by the Lithuanian Ministry of Agriculture under the Lithuanian EU Presidency. Facilitated workshop that analysed issues related to agricultural extension services and communication opportunities between farmers, researchers and the industry. Vilnius, Lithuania; 30 September – 1 October 2013.
- “Small-scale farmers and climate change – Opportunities and barriers to community engagement” 5th CREST Research Symposium. London, England, 10 September 2013.
- Invited Article: Burbi, S. and Jones, M. (2013) Climate Smart Agriculture: Lessons from Engaging with Smallholders as Co-researchers. Swedish International Agricultural Network Initiative (SIANI). 10 November 2013.
- “Sustainable Communities – The case of farmers in the South West region” 4th CREST Research Symposium. London, England, 11 September 2012.
- Innovation in utilisation of grass, forage and feed by ruminant livestock. Research Meeting. IBERS, Aberysthwyth, Wales, 16 May 2012.
- “Improving livestock farm practices in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the farm level” JTI – Institutet för jordbruks- och miljöteknik, Uppsala, Sweden, 20 May 2011.
Burbi, S. (2014) Improving Farmers Practices and Evaluating Livestock Farmers’ Attitudes to Greenhouse Gas Emissions Mitigation. PhD in Agriculture and Climate Change. Coventry University, in association with the Royal Agricultural University, England.
Burbi, S. (2010) A review of greenhouse gas emissions and potential mitigation strategies in the livestock sector. MSc International Rural Development. Climate Change & Development and Natural Resources Management pathways. Royal Agricultural University, England.
Burbi, S. (2010) Quantification of the greenhouse gases mitigation strategies at the farm level. MSc International Rural Development. Climate Change & Development and Natural Resources Management pathways. Royal Agricultural University, England.
Burbi, S. (2006) Valutazione delle risposte comportamentali durante le prime fasi di addestramento di Mustang nordamericano. Laurea Specialistica in Medicina Veterinaria. Università di Pisa, Italia.